Botanical Art Program by Heeyoung Kim at Brushwood Center, 2018, (Mondays & Saturdays)
Monday Workshops (Intermediate/Advanced level, 10am - 4pm): designed to keep balance in improving drawing/painting techniques and pursuing students' own long term projects at the same time. Each month there are 2 weeks of a workshop with a topic, and 2 open workshops.
- 2 week of a workshop with one topic are preferably registered as one session at $170.
- 2 open workshops can be registered per day ($85)
- Registration by emailing or calling Heeyoung Kim
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 847-903-7348
- At Brushwood Center at Ryerson Woods: 21850 N. Riverwoods Road, Deerfield, IL 60015
- Students are invited to Annual Students Exhibition, Nov - Dec, 2018
Saturday Morning Workshops (Intermediate/Experienced Beginning Level, 9am - 1pm), designed for students who took beginning level of drawing and watercolor classes with Heeyoung, and study botanical watercolors to a higher level.
- There is a theme each month (4 or 3 sessions)
- All sessions per month are recommended to be registered as one workshop.
- $57 per session
- There are plenty demos for basic and advanced techniques.
- Students receive individual assistance and guide from the instructors.
Saturday Afternoon: Botanical Fundamentals (Beginning Level, 2pm - 5pm), designed for beginners or artists who wish to brush up basic drawing/painting skills. Step by step, easy-to-follow instruction will make every one feel comfortable to learn.
Beginners and new comers to my program are recommended to take these foundation classes and move on to Saturday Morning or Monday workshops.
- Each course has 5 weeks, $215
- $47 per session
All classes listed here occur at Brushwood Center @ Ryerson Woods, 21850 N. Riverwoods Road, Deerfield, IL 60015
Registration by emailing or calling Heeyoung Kim
Students are invited to Annual Students Exhibition at Brushwood Center, Nov - Dec, 2018
Monday Workshop Details
January (1- no class)
5,6 & 7: 3 Day Workshop- Dark Calla Lily Painting- Emphasis on 3-Dimensionality
15, 22 & 29: Theme continues as open workshop format
5 & 12: Painting in Winter Color- Seeds & Pods in Monotonous Color- Study Value & Temperature
9 & 26: Theme continues as open workshop formatMarch
5 & 12: Journaling Spring Sprouts: Loose pencil, ink and watercolor illustration of small bits of spring
19 & 26: Theme continues as open workshop format
April (2- the day after Easter, no class ?)
9 & 16: Ink & Watercolor Botanical Plate with Vintage Charm- Developing from journal pages
23 & 30: Theme continues as open workshop format
7 & 14: Painting Parrot Tulips- Rich & Intense color
21, 28 (Memorial Day): Theme continues as open workshop format
4 & 11: Drawing/Painting Prairie Spring/summer Flowers in Situ + in Studio
18 & 25: Theme continues as open workshop format
2: Shine & Reflection in graphite pencil
9,16 & 23: Shine, Reflection & Bloom in watercolor
30: Theme continues as open workshop format
6 & 13: Edible Beauty- An Apple for Your Eyes
20 & 27: Theme continues as open workshop
3, 10, 17 & 24: Painting subject of student’s choice
October - all open workshops for getting ready for the 4th Annual Exhibit
1, 8, 15, 22 & 29
November: 4th Annual Botanical Art Exhibition (opening, veteran’s day, Thanksgiving )
5, 12, 19 (the dates and theme will be confirmed later)
3, 10 & 17: How to Deal with Patterns in Watercolor Painting and Drawing
Saturday Morning Workshop Details
January: 13, 20 & 27- Painting exotic flowers (Bird of Paradise, if available!)
February: 3, 10, 17 & 24- Explore the Inner World of Plants
March: 10, 17, 24 & 31- Spring Expectation: Snowdrop, Crocus, Daffodil…. In white and yellow
April: 7, 14, 21 & 28- Painting Magnolia
May: 5, 12 (?), & 26- Inspired by Duerer’s Turf.
June: 2, 9, 16 (?), 223 & 30- Painting Iris: Observation the Dynamic of Water
July: 7, 14, 21 & 28- Student’s Project: With assistance about composition, drawing, painting strategy and techniques
August: 4, 11, 18 & 25- Painting Blooms on Fruits
September: 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29- Drawing with Crow Quill Pen
October: 6, 20& 27- Open workshops: Fixing & Finishing for the 4th Annual Botanical Art Exhibition
November: 3 & 17- Edge of the Season: Beauty in Desiccating Plants
December: 1, 8 & 15- Painting Something Wintery and Colorful
Saturday Afternoon: Botanical Fundamentals- Details
2pm-5pm- Beginning level- 5 Weeks: $215, $47 per session
Drawing Fundamentals 1: Beginning Level- 5 Weeks: Jan. 13, 20, 27, Feb. 3, 10
- Understanding materials, tonal value & form, light & shadow
Drawing Fundamentals 2: Beginning Level- 5 Weeks: Feb.24, Mar.10, 17, 24, 31
- How to draw 3 major flower types. Measuring techniques for free hand drawing
- Essential plant structures for botanical artists
Drawing 3- Intermediate Level- 5 Weeks: April 28, May 5, 26, June 2, 9
- Perspectives and foreshortened form in flower and leaf drawing
Drawing 4- Intermediate/Advanced Level- 5 Weeks: June 30, July 7, 14, 21, 28
- Composition & flower arrangement for complicated botanical drawing.
Watercolor Botanical 1: Beginning Level- 5 Weeks- Aug 18, 25, Sep 1, 8, 15
- Understanding tools and basic ‘chemistry’ of watercolor painting
- Washes, color mixing & Matching, and basic techniques
Watercolor Botanical 2: Beginning Level- 5 weeks- Sep 22, 29, Oct 6, 20, 27
- Painting pale color flowers, stems, and small leaves
Watercolor Botanical 3: Beginning/Intermediate Level- 5 Weeks- Nov 3, 17, Dec 2, 8, 15
- Painting dark/rich color flowers and dark leaves with details defined
- Masking fluid application
Colored Pencil for Beginners: 2 Weeks- $90- April 7, 14
- Basic techniques for layering and blending colored pencil and more
Workshops as a Visiting Artist
3 Days Workshop at Chicago Botanic Garden Orchid Show: March 2, 3 & 4, 2018- Exquisite Orchids
2 Days Workshop with Reed Turner Botanical Artist Group: June 3, 4, 2017- Drawing Foreshortened Leaves and Flowers.
3 Days Workshop with Philadelphia Society of Botanical Illustrators at the John Heinz National Refuge Center at Tinicum, Oct 20, 21, 22, 2017- Maximazing 3-D Effect in Watercolor Botanical.
For inquiries about visiting artist workshops, please, contact Heeyoung!